The Powers Classical School is the fulfillment of a long-held dream I have had to bring classical education to home-educated students in the Knoxville area. In English classes I will stimulate critical thinking through discussion which teaches students how to defend their points of view in a logical way. In written assignments, I will give opportunities to respond to literature in both analytical and creative formats. My Latin classes utilize Barbara Beers’ Latin Road series of materials, a sequential and logical approach to the language that also strengthens the student’s English grammar and syntax skills and teaches etymology along the way as well. My Spanish classes use Spanish is Fun, a curriculum that equips students to quickly learn vocabulary and be confident in speaking and writing.
Classes are held at my home at 12044 Broadwood Drive, Knoxville, TN 37934. Unlike a homeschool cooperative, the Powers Classical School does not require work hours from families enrolled. Registration and adherence to the School Policies are the only requirements.
Mrs. Powers’ Guarantees to Academic Success:
- Pay attention in class.
- Follow your syllabus.
- Keep an organized notebook.
- Take notes when appropriate.
- Be careful to not fall behind and ask for help if you fear this is happening.
- Do your best on all assignments.
- Students are expected to attend every class.
- If you must miss a class, please do your best to notify Mrs. Powers by email as soon as you know you will be absent. Once the class has been conducted, Mrs. Powers will email a link to its video to you. You are required to watch the video of the missed class.
- It is the student’s responsibility to make up the work (reading and written assignments) and turn in assignments due for a missed class.
- Students are expected to refer to their syllabus for assignments.
- Students are expected to complete assignments on time (usually, before the next class).
- A syllabus will be given for each class at the beginning of the semester, with adjustments as necessary.
- A late assignment’s grade will be dropped 10 points for each week it is late (2 weeks maximum).
- Mrs. Powers is available by phone or email if any help is needed with an assignment.
- The Powers Classical School uses a 93-100 grade scale.
By participating in the Powers Classical School, all students agree to adhere to the following set of rules pertaining to behavior while in attendance. Mrs. Powers reserves the right to dismiss any student that she feels is disruptive or in violation of the behavior guidelines.
Students are expected to respect all others in the class. This means:
- Students should not speak over or interrupt Mrs. Powers or other students.
- Disrespectful or vulgar language directed toward Mrs. Powers or fellow students will not be tolerated.
- Students should listen to others’ opinions, even when they do not agree.
- Students should take care of the classroom at Mrs. Powers’ home.
- There should be eating or drinking only during breaks. Please do not bring drinks with red or orange food coloring or foods containing peanuts.
- The use of cell phones, mp3 players or other electronic devices will not be permitted. Cellphones will be collected in the ‘cellphone basket’ for safe keeping during class. Parents will be provided phone numbers and texting options to contact Mrs. Powers if there is need for emergency contact.
- Students’ appearance and apparel should be appropriate and non-distracting to the educational environment of the classroom.
- New families: In order to hold your student’s place for the upcoming semester, a non-refundable $50 registration fee will be required upon acceptance of your student’s registration.
- Payment for the first month of classes will be due by orientation.
- Subsequent payments will be due monthly on the 1st day of the month, beginning in September.
- Fees are based on the child’s enrollment and are due even if the student does not attend all classes for the month.
Cancellation of your student from the program :
- Cancellation requests by the family must be in writing.
- Payments received for the month of cancellation will not be refundable. However, upon written cancellation of a student, automatic payment subscription will be immediately terminated to prevent the next month’s charge being applied.
- Mrs. Powers reserves the right to dismiss any student that she feels is disruptive or in violation of the behavior guidelines.
- If Mrs. Powers asks a student to be dismissed from the program, that month’s payment will not be refunded.